Marikina River Park | Things to do in Marikina City-Metro Manila
|Address:||near Sumilong Highway, Santa Elena, Marikina City, Metro Manila|
The Bahay na Bato (translated as "House Made of Stone") in Marikina City is a Spanish heritage site declared as a National Shrine in 1968. More than 200 years old, Bahay na Bato bore witness to the first pair of shoes ever designed in Marikina City. On an average day, its two restaurants, Cafe Kapitan Restaurant and Cocina, are busy with foodies. In other occasions, the entire building is bristling with viewers watching cultural events involving visual arts, performance poetry, or music. The stone edifice is owned by Kapitan Moy, who is considered to be the Father of the Shoe Industry in the Philippines. The second floor, called the Museo ng Musica, is available for private lease on special events like weddings, birthdays, and debuts.
Tagged as a Diocesan Shrine in 2005, the Church of the Our Lady of Abandoned is pilgrimage site among residents not just of Marikina City, but also those of Metro Manila. The church is the oldest parish in Marikina, and the second oldest parish in the Philippines, next to that of Sta. Ana in Manila. Built by Augustinians in the 1700s, the Church of the Our Lady of Abandoned bears the image of an enlightened woman receiving orphaned children. Legend says the Lady is miraculous, stopping a detonation when a bomb was hurled into the church during the World War II. Today, the church is popular as a dramatic backdrop in any wedding, baptismal, and other ecclesiastical celebrations. In Spanish it's called "Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados", which is translated in Filipino as "Ina ng mga Walang Mag-ampon".
Upon entering, travelers will be awed by a huge collection of heels and flats, which were owned by the Philippines' former first lady and shoe lover, Imelda Marcos. The museum highlights Marcos' 749 pairs of shoes, with her most lavish pairs still housed inside the Malacanang Palace. The museum also displays pairs from other notable figures and celebrities, such as the shoes of Imelda's husband and former president Ferdinand Marcos, as well as those of the King of Philippine Comedy, Dolphy Quizon. More than 200 years old, the museum used to serve as a granary in the Spanish regime, and as an artillery storage during the Japanese occupation. It was converted into a shoe museum in 2001 to mark the city their national tag as "The Shoe Capital of the Philippines".
Things to do nearby
- Explore historical landmarks and learn about the rich heritage of shoemaking
- Meet local shoemakers and artists/culture keepers
- Check Marikina’s famous kakanin's and local delicacies
- Get access to good shoe bargain and makers who can customized shoes for you.
- Take advantage of the sights of Marikina City, the Shoe Capital of the Philippines.
- Visit several museums; including the Marikina Shoe Museum that holds the largest collection of shoes in the country, Book cum Ethnology Museum and more.
- Spend the day at this interesting city of history and pop and take home custom-designed shoes specially made by Marikina Shoe Artisans and Shoe Designers.
- Experience your own dark whimsical fairy tale in this intimate hour-long show where actors lead you to explore a trippy dream-like world and play out a story that will surpass your wildest dreams.
- Descend into the world of Lambana where Filipino Folklore comes to life. Here, you’ll discover the heart and dark melancholy of stories that you have undoubtedly heard of before but never experienced.
- Meet the fascinating characters first hand. Share your story with them and they, in turn, will take you on a one of a kind journey through enchanted forests and mermaid infested coves.
Where to stay
As the first business boutique hotel in Quezon City, we offer you outstanding service and unparalleled convenience for a truly delightful experience. With comfortable rooms showcasing chic interiors,carefully selected furnishing,finest quality sheets and orthopedic beds , with a menu of service designed for the modern executive.
We offer versatile venue for meetings,conferences, weddings and other social gatherings choosing from a range of menu personally prepared by our resident chef and package options to suit your preferences and requirements.
Oracle Hotel and Residences' unparalleled comfort comes from knowing you have everything you need within reach.
- Advanced electronic lock system
- 24-hours Wi-Fi Internet access
- Flat-screen televisions with 24-hour cable channels (w/ HD Channels)
Located around 10-15 min drive to Ateneo De Manila, Miriam College, UP Diliman, CCA, ISCAHM and UP Town Center Mall, The Studio 89 Residences is strategically located near several of Metro Manila’s top educational institutions and one of the premiere malls of our country – UP Town Center.Here, we aim to provide a convenient and comfortable accommodation – where our guests can experience both comfortable accomodation and warm service.Recognizing the importance of a safe, comfortable and yet affordable accommodation for our guests and students, we have made it our purpose to provide a secure, comfortable and an inviting environment where our guests can thrive and focus on their personal, academic and social pursuits. We offer rooms that are designed to meet your standards for comfort and value for money.Should you choose to explore other parts of Metro Manila, we are also located near LRT2 Katipunan Station (6-min walk, 450m). Additionally, tricycles are stationed in front of our building – providing easy and convenient access to nearby campuses and surrounding points of interests.Because you deserve the best, we mission is to provide excellent quality service, exceed your expectations and render true Filipino Hospitality. Allow us to be a part of your success. Here at The Studio 89 Residences, let us secure your future in style.
At Eastwood Richmonde Hotel, guests can experience lavish comforts that epitomize sophisticated living. This extends from its stylish designs and splendid amenities, to its gracious staff that provide top-notch service that is always warm and sincere. Indeed, the “Distinctly Richmonde. Distinctly Personal.” standard and aspiration of the Richmonde brand continues in at our hotel in Quezon City.
Getting there and around
near Sumilong Highway, Santa Elena, Marikina City, Metro ManilaGet directions