Marikina Shoe Museum (Museo ng Sapatos) | Things to do in Marikina City-Metro Manila
|Open:||Daily, 8am - 12nn, 1pm - 5pm|
|Address:||J. P. Rizal St., San Roque, Marikina City, Metro Manila|
Tagged as a Diocesan Shrine in 2005, the Church of the Our Lady of Abandoned is pilgrimage site among residents not just of Marikina City, but also those of Metro Manila. The church is the oldest parish in Marikina, and the second oldest parish in the Philippines, next to that of Sta. Ana in Manila. Built by Augustinians in the 1700s, the Church of the Our Lady of Abandoned bears the image of an enlightened woman receiving orphaned children. Legend says the Lady is miraculous, stopping a detonation when a bomb was hurled into the church during the World War II. Today, the church is popular as a dramatic backdrop in any wedding, baptismal, and other ecclesiastical celebrations. In Spanish it's called "Nuestra Señora de los Desamparados", which is translated in Filipino as "Ina ng mga Walang Mag-ampon".
The Bahay na Bato (translated as "House Made of Stone") in Marikina City is a Spanish heritage site declared as a National Shrine in 1968. More than 200 years old, Bahay na Bato bore witness to the first pair of shoes ever designed in Marikina City. On an average day, its two restaurants, Cafe Kapitan Restaurant and Cocina, are busy with foodies. In other occasions, the entire building is bristling with viewers watching cultural events involving visual arts, performance poetry, or music. The stone edifice is owned by Kapitan Moy, who is considered to be the Father of the Shoe Industry in the Philippines. The second floor, called the Museo ng Musica, is available for private lease on special events like weddings, birthdays, and debuts.
Marikina River Park lies next to the Marikina River, a catch basin of rainwater in Metro Manila. While it's the first to pop up in the news due to devastating floods, Marikina River could be charming, if not harassed by typhoons. Marikina River Park is open for picnic, running, biking, skating (it has a dedicated skating rink), and camping. The park also features the feminist statue "The Filipina Leader Soars High" by Juan Sajid Imao, the Filipino sculptor who built the immense Lapu-Lapu sculpture in Rizal Park, Manila. A few meters from the park is the towering statue of Maria Quina, a legendary woman who possessed sublime beauty and kindness. The lady statue, as well as the white carabao statue nearby, works as a rough measurement to calculate the depth of an incoming flood. Once the water reaches Maria Quinaâ€™ neck, nearby residents are alerted to evacuate to higher land.
Things to do nearby
- Experience your own dark whimsical fairy tale in this intimate hour-long show where actors lead you to explore a trippy dream-like world and play out a story that will surpass your wildest dreams.
- Descend into the world of Lambana where Filipino Folklore comes to life. Here, you’ll discover the heart and dark melancholy of stories that you have undoubtedly heard of before but never experienced.
- Meet the fascinating characters first hand. Share your story with them and they, in turn, will take you on a one of a kind journey through enchanted forests and mermaid infested coves.
- See and understand Paoay and the Ilocos region through the eyes of BJ Esposo Guerrero, the published writer, culture and history buff, story-teller par excellence, and well-travelled Ilocano behind “Theberntraveler” in social media, and his associates.
- His carefully designed tours are unique, giving visitors of Ilocos a genuine and almost-expert look at everything to be learned in the north, from architecture, local history, cultural heritage and the arts, and even food!
- Don’t miss his tons of interesting trivia and sharp witted commentaries – he has appeared on TV as well! All you get from his tours are real, un-sugarcoated, fun(ny), and straight-from-a-local experiences and insights you can surely boast of!
Where to stay
The Cirque is a different kind of staycation address you won’t find anywhere else- with a perfect balance of modernity, stillness and eco-green living.You’ll see in our interiors that there’s always a strong relationship between design elements and nature. All our rooms have Eco- carat tiles that transform the air quality so that it becomes as clean and breathable as that of a park. Believing one should be in harmony with one’s environment, allow us to let you have your best rest and sleep in our Norwegian designed rooms.With relaxed style and quiet simplicity, you’ll definitely want to stay longer and more often.
No matter how familiar things and places seem sometimes, there’s always a possibility of being pleasantly surprised by them. And Microtel by Wyndham – Acropolis in Quezon City proves this true.
Behold our hotel in Libis, Quezon City, Philippines ? marvelously set across the vibrant Eastwood City ? as it evokes a unique sense of sophistication that feels homey and welcoming. Emerging as one of the most favored standard abodes in the metropolis, it presents reasonably priced accommodations matched with excellent facilities and services. The hotel prides itself as the first green infrastructure in the area, utilizing environmentally sensitive equipment and ecologically friendly strategies.
Boasting a prime location near the pulsating commercial and entertainment hub, the hotel promises an enthralling holiday experience to any savvy traveler. And with a convenient address, you will certainly have an easy time exploring other fascinating attractions nearby.
With all these desirable features, each stay at Microtel by Wyndham – Acropolis in Libis, Quezon City becomes a constant, continuous delight.
Ideal stay option for Family Vacations, Couples and Solo Travellers. Additional facilities available in RedDoorz Premium @ South Triangle Quenzon City are; Desk, Non Smoking Rooms, Room Service, Water Heater, Restaurant, Fitness Center, Car Parking Area, Rooftop Bar and 24 hours Front Desk. Popular Landmarks, Leisure, Shopping and Entertainment experiences near the Guest House are; Quenzon Memorial Cirlce (3.8 km), Jollibee (450 km), Seoul Trsain Korean BBQ (700 m), Max’s Restaurant (1 km), Fisher Mall (2.2 km), Robinson Magnolia (3.3 km), Il Terrazo (1.1 km), Kamuning Public Market (2.3 km) and SM North EDSA (2.9 km).
Getting there and around
J. P. Rizal St., San Roque, Marikina City, Metro ManilaGet directions