Baluarte de San Andres | Things to do in City of Manila-Metro Manila
|Open:||Open Everyday 6am–6pm|
|Address:||Intramuros, City of Manila, Metro Manila|
Built in 1781 as an added fortification on the eastern side of the wall, the Revellin de Recoletos was named after the Recoletos church near it. It was also known as Revellin de Dilao.In the 1940s, the revellin closed its entrance when it was converted into a garden, named Aurora Gardens after the wife of Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon. Just like every other building in Manila, it suffered the wrath of the 1945 Battle of Manila where it was reduced to rubble. It was last restored in 1986. Today, it is the headquarters of a non-profit, non-government organization that addresses unemployment among the indigent youth, the Escuela Taller de Filipinas Foundation, Inc. This foundation takes in scholars and teaches them how to properly restore and conserve cultural heritage properties and practices.
Built in 1663, this gate played a huge part in big occasions and ceremonies. This gate is exclusively for the Governor-General and would be used for state occasions. The original gate faces the village of Bagumbayan, where Filipinos reside. The original structure was damaged during the British invasion in 1762 but parts of the present Puerta that we see today are the restored version that was built in 1780. More parts of the structure suffered wars and battles, especially during the infamous 1945 Battle of Manila. During the American occupation, some parts of it were refurbished into an aquarium and were also used as barracks during World War II.
The former site of Lourdes Church and convent and the first permanent house of theFranciscan Capuchin friars in 1891. The first chapel was built in 1892 in honor of Our Lady of the Divine Shepherd, in that same year, a Filipino carver, Manuel Flores, carved the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes. Federico Soler built the church in 1897 and later in 1898, Our Lady of Lourdes was enshrined there as a titular head.The church suffered destruction from the 1945 Battle of Manila. In 1951, the church moved to Quezon. Today, the El Amanecer compound houses a local restaurant, Ilustrado along with some souvenir shops.
Things to do nearby
- Explore Philippine history through impressive collections of artifacts that date back from the prehistoric times up to the modern days.
- Spend the day touring the three building of the National Museum complex (National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Fine Arts, and the National Museum of Anthropology)
- See ancient artifacts like the famous 'Manunggul jars', Anito carvings, and weapons that shaped the Filipino culture to what it is today.
- Marvel at the masterpieces by Juan Luna like the famous Spoliarium and the controversial The Parisian Life.
- Witness the taxidermied body of Lolong, the 20-feet freshwater crocodile that used to be the largest in captivity.
- Revisit your history lessons as you stroll along Manila's streets from past to present. (Read more)
- Discover the Philippines' tragedies, tolerance, and triumphant recoveries from colonial influences
- Visit some of Manila's oldest structures in Escolta
- Indulge in authentic Filipino dishes at Seascape Village for lunch, Manila's Seafood Paluto Market.
- Make your own miniature Intramuros (cut and build) while you learn about its story. (Buy this now)
- Experience this fun and exciting Siklesa joy ride in Manila with Lost Juan and his gang!
- Activities include food tripping in Binondo, sightseeing in the UNESCO World Heritage Site Intramuros, spotting BGC's murals and art installations, and touring the world-class Mind Museum!
Where to stay
The Bayleaf Intramuros is a boutique hotel in Manila, Philippines that promises contemporary luxuries and conveniences. Set within the walls of the oldest district and historic core of Manila, this iconic landmark in the metro offers a high-class city abode for any traveler. It presents 57 guestrooms that blend style and comfort to encourage relaxation. Each one has five-star beddings, a 32-inch LCD TV, Wi-Fi Internet, and spacious bath with rain shower. The hotel also affords ace facilities for leisure and business. This includes a ballroom, 5 meeting rooms, and 4 dining venues.
White Knight Hotel Intramuros located within the Plaza San Luis Complex of Intramuros Manila. It is nearby the historic Manila Cathedral with its detailed stone carvings and stained glass mosaics, the century old famous wedding area of San Agustin Church, the outdoor recreational area of Rizal Park boasting an 18-hole golf area, the showcase of golden artifacts at San Agustin Museum and the site of torture chambers and dungeons of Fort Santiago.
White Knight Hotel Intramuros has a total of 29 rooms. The hotel offers you attractive and comfortable rooms which include 4 types mainly the Deluxe, Standard, Suite and Executive Rooms. All rooms have private bathrooms, personal wardrobe, desk, telephone and free WIFI internet access. In addition, rooms come with all the modern equipments to bring the convenience and safety for guests, such as flat screen TV sets, air conditioners, menu tour, refrigerators and the other necessaries
The Corporate Inn Hotel Manila has continually provided a top-notch service to get you everything you need- whether it’s for business, time off alone, or your loved ones we make sure our guests feel a sense of belongingness and experience an ambiance of “at-home” environment.At The Corporate Inn Hotel Manila, you’ll discover all the features you would expect from a business luxury hotel but with very reasonable rates. Our rooms and suites come with air-conditioning, LED TV, Wi-Fi access, as well as a hot & cold shower. In addition, the hotel also has a business centre, massage service, car rental, and ample parking space.When it comes to location, nothing comes close to the convenience we provide in ‘Fascinating Manila’. Popular destinations such as Rizal Park, National Museum, Walled City of Intramuros, the U.S Embassy, business districts, and entertainment hubs are all just short minutes from our hotel.So come and visit us here at The Corporate Inn Hotel in Manila, Philippines, where you will enjoy top hospitality and access to the best historic sites at immensely attractive rates.
Getting there and around
Intramuros, City of Manila, Metro ManilaGet directions