Traditional Filipino Houses | Things to do in Romblon-Romblon
|Address:||Brgy. Poblacion, Romblon, Romblon|
Catedral de San Jose is the oldest Catholic church in Romblon province. It was declared a National Cultural Treasure in 2001. Among Spanish churches in the country, the cathedral stands out because of its copper bell, which sits on top of the reconstructed tower. Catedral de San Jose was built by Recollect Fathers in the 15th century, following a cruciform design. Its unique features include its marble retablos, religious paintings, antique icons, and coral-bricked walls. The stained-glass windows and Byzantine altar house the Nuestra Señor Sto. Niño de Romblon, which went missing for 22 years until 2013.
Romblon’s marble tour is a learning excursion to one of the Philippines’ top exports. Near the port you’ll find the Marble Shopping Center, an alley lined with several marble shops. The products here are affordable, carved from high quality marble. They range from keychains and pendants to large tables and scuptures. Some stores are a treat, exhibiting the art of marble carving.
Coral-bricked Spanish bridges are still intact in Romblon, and three of these—Puente de Rio Casalogan, Puente de Romblon, and Puente de Belen—are declared Important Cultural Properties by the National Museum of the Philippines. The bridges have the Spanish signature of coral rocks commonly known as “buga.” They also have benches on either side that were made for “cocheros” (carriage drivers) for resting while their horses enjoy a drink from the stream below.
Things to do nearby
- Join Romblon’s marble tour, a learning excursion to one of the Philippines’ top exports
- Experience hassle free transfers from the pick up point to the marble quarries
- Enjoy a relatively easy walk to the marble quarry sites, access to these sites are easy and accommodate frequent visitors
- See workers breaking down marble from the bedrocks of mountains
- Watch artisans up close as they carve large slabs of marble into beautiful sculptures
- Check out the top-quality marble products in shops near the port
Where to stay
Romblon Fun Divers & Inn is located in the middle of Romblon's Promenade. Only a few meters away from Romblon Plaza, Local & International Restaurants, Fort San Andres, the Marble Factories and the Pier. All Rooms have a powerful and silent Airconditioning, Hot Shower with Shampoo & Shower Gel amenities, Towels and Bedsheets. From here you can explore a myriad of Land & Island attractions and Scuba Diving activities.